At 2:28 PM +0200 7/17/02, Lars Hemmingsen wrote:
>         As for midwifery, ergot ("sekale") was used also in modern
>times against haemorrhages at birth; it contracts the uterus; it may
>still be in use.

I believe it's still prescribed (in small doses of course) for
migraine headaches -- certainly it has been within recent memory. It
works for some people, and has the virtue of being cheaper than some
of the more modern stuff. Once was enough for me to try it, though --
it made me so dizzy I couldn't stand up. I was even dizzy lying flat
on my back. No interesting visions, though! <grin>
O    Chris Laning
+    Davis, California

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]