>From: Phyllis Jestice <[log in to unmask]>

>Today (2. July) is the feast day of:
>
>Visitation of the Virgin Mary (1st cent.)  According to Luke 1: 39-56, when
>Mary found that she was pregnant she went and visited her cousin Elisabeth,
>who was six months pregnant with John the future Baptist.  The event marks
>the first recognition of Jesus, and according to the gospel account
>inspired Mary's great praise song, the Magnificat.  (Although the
>chronology seems strange, since we just celebrated the nativity of John the
>Baptist, and at the Visitation he wouldn't be born for another three
>months.)

A quick search on the net came up with a number of sources placing the
Visitation at 31 May. The Catholic Encyclopedia suggests that 2 July (the
older feast date) was supposed to mark the *end* of the Visitation of Mary
to Elizabeth, an octave after the birth of John the Baptist.

31 May makes even less sense.

Francine Nicholson, M.A.