Dear Madeleine,

The painting you have in mind may be Luca Signorelli's Last Judgement in
Orvieto, which I think dates from within a few years of 1500. I have heard,
however, that some experts on this painting think that the skeletons were
not part of the original composition, but added by a different artist
somewhat later. I don't how much agreement there is about this
interpretation of the painting's history, however.

Best,
Nancy Caciola
History, UC San Diego

At 05:01 PM 7/4/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>I'm sure I've come across (somewhere ... ) a medieval painting of the Last
>Judgement which showed skeletons being re-fleshed as part of the
>resurrection of the dead. It was a sort of reverse stratigraphy, skeletons
>at the bottom of the section, getting more body tissue as they got nearer
>the top, then emerging fully fleshed.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]