Here in Merton we are about to run a trial of sending no overdue letters to
library users.  At present we send them at 8 weeks overdue.

Has any other library authority tried this wheeze?  And what impact did it
have on:

amounts of fines collected (especially now that we have targets to meet)
customer reaction
eventual return of books (or did they just never come back?)
reservation system (did it fail to meet its targets?)

I look forward to your replies, and if they are interesting enough I will
summarise them for the list.

Wendy M. Siemaszko

Wimbledon Library
35 Wimbledon Hill Road