Life, the Universe & Everything

Actually all I'm interested in is 'life' - well the
life of videos, cds, dvds, etc.

The issues are:

Formats:

* old and new formats are continually becoming
obsolete or introduced

* big issue is the continual production of spare parts
for obsolete playing equipment.

Media:

B&W film has been proven to last approx. 100 years

* needs environmentally controlled storage

Colour film lasts about 30 years the dyes fade ref.:
'Fantasia,' 'Gone with the Wind,' etc.

* copying may need computer enhancement

Video tape (analogue) lasts about 30 years

* its the adhesive with decomposes and clogs the read
heads
* remains readable even if the recording deteriorates
* colours fade with loss of signal
* playing can wear head and tape surfaces
* copies never as good as original

Video tape (digital) last about 30 years

* its the adhesive with decomposes and clogs the read
heads
* drop out can cause large blocks of data to be lost
* copies as good as original - if copies BEFORE
deterioration sets in

CDs (digital) - reckoned to last 30-70 years (latter
for Kodak gold-layered CDs)

* not been around for long enough to test for
longevity
* decomposition of recording layers can deteriorate
and cause total loss
* even a scratch can cause total loss
* copies as good as original - if copies BEFORE
deterioration sets in

DVDs (digital) - reckoned to last 30-70 years (latter
for Kodak gold-layered CDs)

* not been around for long enough to test for
longevity
* decomposition of recording layers can deteriorate
and cause total loss
* even a scratch can cause total loss
* copies as good as original - if copies BEFORE
deterioration sets in

What do folk advise for archiving analogue video
recordings?

At present I'm trying to find a company to transfer
the videos onto B&W 16mm cine film.

Thanks - Chris B.