Interesting how there doesn't seem to be much support for this. When I first
read it I thought A and E might be hit pretty hard, but I reckoned that
(say) anaesthetists, pathologists, dermatologists or something might like
it. Then I found most of my anaesthetist, dermatologist and pathologist
friends spitting feathers about it. In my own hospital, even the clinical
and medical directors don't like it. (They reckon job planning will be put
in the hands of 'performance managers' with regular evening and weekend
elective work). The on call supplement is strange- I moved from a 1:2 to a
1:3 a couple of years back and it made a huge difference. To pay a 1:2 the
same as a 1:4 is ridiculous, although I'm not sure that 8% is enough for
even a 1:4- the old class B UMTs would have paid 10% for a 1:4 with
prospective cover; and 18% for the usual 1:2- telephone advice only. And
that was in the days when it was thought that juniors weren't paid enough
for on call.
As Adrian says, it is unlikely that many people will get the 2 session
allowance for on call work. On a 1:3, coming in for an hour or two every
night you are on call means you get one half day off a week- so anyone
taking an afternoon off to recover after being up in the early hours of the
morning will have to compensate either by working every Saturday morning of
by working a 12 hour day at some point during the week. This  very much
encourages us to leave critically ill patients to the juniors of our own and
other peoples teams in the early hours.
If you compare the new contract to the opening offer from the government a
year and a half ago, the only concession the BMA has achieved is dropping
the 'perhaps 7 year' ban on private practice.

Matt Dunn

This email has been scanned for viruses by NAI AVD however we are unable to
accept responsibility for any damage caused by the contents.
The opinions expressed in this email represent the views of the sender, not
South Warwickshire General Hospitals NHS Trust unless explicitly stated.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.