Brendan,

Thanks for the reply. Overall it sounds pretty much like neural pathology
with adaptive responses including joint stiffness adaptive muscle changes
etc. There are a number of features that dont fit, inc relief from taping
into retraction and elevation, I would have guessed slight protraction and
elevation would provide more relief, all the rom and resisted tests seem
plausible for this explanation... definately a tricky one. I would certainly
stick with neural mobes and positional/ posture work inc a closer look at
breathing patterns and activation of muscles inc scalenes and also pec
minor, in addition first rib position and mobility. From the sounds of
things I would suggest there is no real involvement from the glenohumeral
joint except as a secondary response... probably something else going on
somewhere... hope my comments are of at least a little use, let us know how
things progress.

Regards
Steve Aspinall BSc (Hons) GSR
Sport Rehabilitator