There is regular evidence of modern ritual practice at Binsey well near
Oxford - although I hope it never extends to drowning doggies !!
Thankfully, it's confined to candle stumps, crystals, bunches of
herbs/wheat being placed around the well.  People do throw coins in
regularly but I suspect most of the money chucking is via tourist visitors
rather than having a formal ritual significance.  It's interesting tho that
folk persist in chucking coins into flowing water/wells - they extract  up
to one hundred pounds worth of coins a year from the fountain in the Castle
Mall shopping arcade in Norwich - but, when you ask most people why they do
it the response is generally vague & to do with it being "lucky" in an
unspecified way.