At 07:30 AM 6/19/02 -0400, you wrote:
How are you differentiating hamstring tightness from neural tension?

Good question. I would agree that it is difficult to do this from a purely biomechanical perspective but the physiologic response to neural irritation (sympathetic increase) as opposed to muscular nociception (parasympathetic increase) may offer an additional clue.  Personally, I simply assume it's the nerve to begin with and treat accordingly. If there is no immediate response toward increased range and warmth I assume it really is the muscle and go from there. I suppose it's both at times, especially in a very strong athlete with a specific history indicating a sudden traumatic onset of pain while engaged in a stressful manuever.

Barrett L. Dorko, P.T.
<http://barrettdorko.com>