Okay, I'm going off on a rant...

<<<"Personally I would like to see all users registering in one form or
another
here. This is driven by the need to gather accurate stats for our PI's
and
such like">>>

What are we here for, to serve people or gather statistics? Talk about
being process driven.

<<<"Nevertheless, is it too much to ask someone to join, to give just a
minimum
amount of information, in order to be counted ? Particularly as
counting is
a statutory requirement ?">>>

Yes, in many cases it is too much. What about asylum seekers? What
about foreign visitors? What about holidaymakers? What about people out
of town on business? Whenever I'm away from base I look for an internet
cafe or easy everything to log on and check my email. I don't go to a
library, because I expect to come across barriers such as this.

Until we resolve this, until we lighten up, anally retentive librarians
who insist on putting barriers in the way of people using their services
are presiding over the slow death of public libraries. People will vote
with their feet...

And finally I'd like to point out that my Celtic bad humour is nothing
to do with England leading against Brazil...

>>> "Simpson, Scott" <[log in to unmask]> 20/06/02
16:16:26 >>>
Dear all,
Thanks for all your responses, I've included them in the attached word
document for you to draw your own conclusions. As far as I can see -

*       Most authorities have a booking system of sorts, whether it is
through their LMS or a 3rd party system like Pharos. And most
authorities
use library barcodes as logins.
*       Of the 14 replies, 5 authorities insist that users join the
library
in one form or another. 2 other authorities would like to require
people to
join.I think everyone at least encourages people to join anyway.
*
Personally I would like to see all users registering in one form or
another
here. This is driven by the need to gather accurate stats for our PI's
and
such like. However I do see the argument that you don't need to join to
read
the newspaper, etc (well not here anyway!) and also to be honest I
hadn't
considered the notion of visits by tourists. East Renfrewshire is not
exactly a hotbed of tourism !

Nevertheless, is it too much to ask someone to join, to give just a
minimum
amount of information, in order to be counted ? Particularly as
counting is
a statutory requirement ?

There were quite a few Out of Office replies to my original email,
maybe
when they return they'd like to contribute to the debate ?

 <<Email responses to public access query>>

> ----------

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are not necessarily the
view of East Renfrewshire Council. It is intended only for the person or
entity named above. If you have received this e-mail in error please
notify the author by replying to this e-mail and then erasing the e-mail
from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or copying of
the e-mail is strictly prohibited.
East Renfrewshire Council may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails.
This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept
 for the presence of computer viruses.

Note: We are a Microsoft Office site.  Our base version is 4.3.  Please make sure
that files you send can be read in this format.

Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited save unless expressly authorised by the sender.

The information contained in this message is intended for the named
recipients only. It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you
are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering this to the addressee,
you may not copy, distribute or take action in reliance on it.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender(s)
immediately by telephone. Please also destroy and delete as soon as possible
the message from your computer.