A number of people seem to be working on marketing strategies at the moment,
so here's some info about responses to my message of a month ago:

These authorities have produced marketing strategies for their services:
Ealing, Plymouth, Midlothian (at draft stage), Birmingham.
These authorities are working on strategies:  Medway, Stockton, Merton,
Blackburn with Darwen, Greenwich, Bournemouth, Rochdale.

I can strongly recommend a CILIP book: Marketing concepts for libraries and
information services, now in it's second edition:  Eileen Elliott de Saez,
ISBN 1856044262.  CILIP also run a course - which I haven't been on.  (Yet.)

I'd be interested to hear from any other authorities who are running
marketing campaigns.

Regards
Helen Leech
Public and Community Information Manager
Chatham Library
Riverside
Chatham
ME4 4SN