I have followed this discussion with a slight sense of disbelief.  This was
very topical 10 or more years ago but the world has simply moved on - or I
thought it had!

This genie was out of the bottle long ago.  People who want to find
archaeological sites and monuments have no difficulty doing so.  Many of
them have been marked on OS maps for many years. Or they can get the
information easily from the NMRs or SMRs.  With the modern requirements for
freedom of information, I don't think that we could justify withholding
information. The NMRS is about to back its online records, which offer full
information, with online mapping.  I hope we will follow suit in due course.

In Humberside, in the early 1980s, I remember there was the full listing of
sites published by Loughlin and Miller.  I also remember metal detectorists
telling me that they believed the grid references had been deliberately
messed up to confuse them!  This was not actually the case.

No, the only answer is public education and raised awareness of they should
not damage sites, and why sites are of value to everyone, not just
archaeologists.

John Wood

John Wood
Inverness

This is a personal, not an official communication, and any opinions
expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.  It is
confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s)
only. You should not disclose its contents to any other person. If you
are not the intended recipient please notify the sender named above
immediately.