Rather than trying to explain the observation by going back, I might suggest
a few hypotheses that you might then track prospectively.

Hypothesis 1: Some pharma has a new drug they are bringing to market (or
whose patent is about to expire) and have launched a publicity blitz (public
campaigns, increased detailing to clinicians, strategic release of research
data to the media, etc.).

Hypothesis 2. Some celebrity has had a recent, well-publicized problem and
some of our patients/colleagues are living vicariously through their
experience.

Hypothesis 3. seasonal variation in exacerbations of health problems

Hypothesis 4. Random clustering of searches

I am sure there are several other hypotheses. I think each of the ones I
mention have some methodologic issues, but I believe would lend well to
prospective data collection.

For instance, if you (and colleagues, students, etc.) were to keep a close
watch on the media and the activities of pharma representatives, and see a
new blitz, you could compare the "hits" for that issue and compare it to the
"hits" for some other item (for instance, studies on ear wax removal)

Good luck!

Henry

Henry C. Barry, MD, MS
Associate Professor
Senior Associate Chair
Department of Family Practice           E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
B-104B Clinical Center                  Academic Office:(517) 353-0851
Michigan State University               Clinical Office:(517) 353-3050
East Lansing, Michigan 48824            Fax:    (517) 355-7700