On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:56:11AM -0400, Harry Wagner wrote:
> This also presents us with an opportunity to correct the schemas that our
> namespaces currently resolve to.  I suggest that once we have reviewed the
> schemas and are satisfied with them that we publish them on the Web site and
> change the namespace PURLs to resolve to them.  This would align the Usage
> Board decisions / documentation, the Registry and the schemas.  This seems
> to me to be a rare opportunity to correct several "wrongs" all at one time.
> Please give this your consideration.
..
> As always, suggestions, concerns, criticism, etc. are welcome.

This is an important step forward. Many thanks to Harry for
the code and to Roland for following through on the RDF schema
design (and to Rachel for some careful crosschecking).

As earlier postings have indicated, I am still
unsure that the RDF schema says everything we would
ideally want it to say.  RDF applications will not
need all of the historical versioning details of
http://www.gmd.de/People/Thomas.Baker/usage/terms/dc/
(eventually to be installed at
http://dublincore.org/usage/terms/dc/).  However, the
RDF schema should perhaps have:

1) Status of the term (eg, "recommended", "registered"...).
   For some purposes, this could be an important search
   criterion for registry users.

2) Type of term (eg, Elements, Element Refinements, Encoding
   Scheme).  Right now, users searching on "encoding scheme"
   will get several hits of encoding schemes that happen to
   use the words "encoding" and "scheme" in their definitions.

3) Pointers to the "most recent version" in a document of all
   historical versions; for example
   http://www.gmd.de/People/Thomas.Baker/usage/terms/dc/#title-003.
   This would allow users to browse back into historical versioning
   information if need be.

If we were to put the "prose"-based Usage-Board-maintained
documentation into place at the same time as
the RDF schema -- in my opinion, those files are
almost ready to go prime-time -- we would also need
to correct the dc:source statements of the schemas at
http://www.mathematik.uni-osnabrueck.de/projects/dcqual/qual21.3.1/Schema/A/
to point to http://dublincore.org/usage/terms/dc/.

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                [log in to unmask]
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784