On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Dan Brickley wrote:
> ... A namespace document defines terms by
> describing then in rdf/xml and/or in prose. Other documents, messages,
> conference presentations etc might re-iterate or refine it.
>
> It seems reasonable for each rdf/xml term to have just one 'home'
> namespace, alongside annotations about it from elsewhere. This is the
> dominant model that people have used in deploying rdf/xml, I don't think I
> know of any counter-cases.

Dan, Roland,

I'm not sure I "get it" yet...

Let's suppose the "prose" document currently mirrored at
http://www.gmd.de/People/Thomas.Baker/usage/terms/dc/ (to be
installed at http://dublincore.org/usage/terms/dc/) is what
I have been calling the "canonical" source of definitions --
that is, the document that gets edited after a Usage Board
meeting and from which all other representations of DCMI
semantics -- schemas, Web pages, "just-the-latest" excerpts,
etc -- derive in a very practical, "workflow" sense.

And let's suppose that Roland's RDF schema thereof is in effect
derived from this "canonical" representation -- even if this
simply means that someone is hand-checking the spelling and
punctuation of the definitions between the angle brackets
against the original "prose" document.

In your terms, which document is the "namespace document" --
my prose (ie, flat-text) document or the RDF schema?  Am I
correct in understanding that your notion of "home" namespace
(an identifier) is not the same as that of "namespace document"
(a document)?

> rdfs:isDefinedBy probably should have been called rdfs:ns, since we added
> it to RDF Schema as a way of associating a term with the wider bundle of
> names it was defined alongside.

Given the specific way isDefinedBy is being used, that would
work _alot_ better for me...

On Fri May 31, Patrick wrote:
>We need a way to relate a term to resources which define it. And
>we should use rdfs:isDefinedBy (or a subproperty of it) to do this,
>but that resource is not a namespace. It might be an RDF schema.
>It might be an HTML instance with prose for humans. It might be
>text. Whatever.

This is why rdfs:ns would work alot better for me.
If rdfs:isDefinedBy is being used (in effect) like rdfs:ns,
it seems we might sometimes still need a pointer from an
individual term declaration to a canonical source document
(in this case, in "prose") in the form of something like the
differently defined rdfs:isDefinedBy Patrick wants?

In Roland's schema at
http://www.mathematik.uni-osnabrueck.de/projects/dcqual/qual21.3.1/Schema/A/dcterms
the arcs

|  <dc:source
|     rdf:resource="http://www.dublincore.org/documents/2000/07/11/dcmes-qualifiers/"/>
|  <dc:source rdf:resource="http://www.dublincore.org/usage/decisions/"/>

point to a single source (prose) file for the entire RDF
schema, as a whole.  However, I should think that as the
number of terms and related namespaces increases, such a
document-oriented pointer -- from one RDF schema document
to one prose document -- would become increasingly less
useful for locating the "source" resources that define any
particular term.

Already in
http://www.gmd.de/People/Thomas.Baker/usage/terms/dc/ the
terms defined come from two namespaces -- as a document,
it replaces both http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/ and
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmes-qualifiers/.  And it
is not difficult to imagine the more extreme cases Patrick
(I believe) has in mind, where a schema uses terms from
more than two namespaces.

In the RDF schema of DCMI terms, then, might it not
be helpful to have a pointer to the precise source of
a definition in the canonical prose document, such as
http://www.gmd.de/People/Thomas.Baker/usage/terms/dc/#title-003
(historically, the latest version of a term from
the http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/ namespace) or
http://www.gmd.de/People/Thomas.Baker/usage/terms/dc/#medium-002
(a term from the http://purl.org/dc/terms/ namespace)?

Such precision might not be necessary in an informational RDF
schema defining "just the current" elements in English for
use in general-purpose RDF applications, as Roland is doing.
But would such a pointer not be more important in an RDF schema
of the elements defined in Japanese?  How else would one point
from a term declaration in Japanese back to the historically
exact English wording upon which the translation was based?

Would we not, then, need to ensure that
each successive historical version of a term
declaration has a unique identifier, such as
http://dublincore.org/usage/terms/dc/#medium-002 or even
http://purl.org/dc/terms/medium-002?

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                [log in to unmask]
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784