         Sent:  12 June 2002 10:02
> To:   [log in to unmask]
> Subject:      OWNER REFUSING TO ALLOW REMEDIATION
>
> There are a couple of cases of this going around for questions at present.
> The basic process as envisaged in Part IIA is set out below.
>
> In the case where the Class A person is OK to do the remediation, but the
> owner needs to give permission is covered in the primary legislation.
> S78G of Part IIA EPA 90 requires an owner (or occupier) to grant rights to
> the appropriate person.   (This may also apply on land not actually
> contaminated, but needed for example for access).
>
> The person granting rights is entitled to compensation (covered by
> Regulation 6 in the contaminated land regulations).   The LA must also
> have "reasonably" endeavoured to consult with the person.  Some people
> have suggested turning an owner into a Class A person if and when they
> were aware of the land being contaminated but failed to remediate.
> However, testing whether this really meant both knowledge and ability to
> do something would be new ground.
>
> This is not quite the same as an owner who is also the appropriate person
> who refuses to participate in a remediation scheme.   Then they can be
> served a notice and prosecuted for failure to comply.    And as Eric
> Shearer says, the land is blighted until sorted.
>
> The debate on whether it is a human right of someone to live peacefully on
> a poisonous site will be interesting (the same would apply to an unsafe
> building).   In an extreme case I wonder if they would run the risk of
> civil liability for any damage (harm to health) to anyone visiting the
> site, this would certainly mean they got an uninterrupted enjoyment of
> this right.
>
> JMLowe

Important Notice:

This message is intended for the indicated addressees only and may be confidential. If this message has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; Please inform us immediately.

** Please note that this message has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communication medium. We strongly advise that you bear this in mind and act on it when sending or receiving e-mail.

** This communication does not, unless expressly indicated by the sender in the body of the message, create or modify any contract. ** Although this e-mail and its attachments are believed to be free from any virus, it is the

responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free. **Halton Borough Council does not accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own personal views and are not expressly made on behalf

of Halton Borough Council.