Paul Barford wrote:

> ... Unless of course these "professional archaeologists"
> are involved in some sort of practices which are highly
> lucrative but we would rather not know about - which
> might explain why they wish to remain anonymous.) ....
>
> Assuming that one has some twisted desire to give ...
> one's own money ... how one can know that this is
> not just a scam ? How will I know that mine is not the
> only money that is in reality going to swell the coffers
> of this organization?

Paul,

I'm not sure whether to be amused by your post ... or
offended. I assumed that most professional archaeologists,
especially those that subscribe to this list serve, would be
familiar with the The Archaeology Channel (TAC)
(www.archaeologychannel.org) and the wonderful work
they are doing.

If you'd conducted a modicum of background research
before posting your message. By clicking on the link in my
original posting, you would have learned that TAC is a
respected research and education organization, reaching
the public and your profession through extremely effective
use of the internet.

You must not live in the Northwest. If you did, you certainly
would be familiar with Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA,
the founder and Executive Director of the Archaeological
Legacy Institute (the parent organization). Those that know
Rick will get a chuckle from your suggestion that he might
be "involved in some sort of practices which [sic] are highly
lucrative but we would rather not know about". (Rick is one
of the few truly upright, honest and sincere individuals I've
encountered.) And I surmise you've never worked or
volunteered for a 501(c)(3). If you had, you'd know that no
one in their right mind founds and runs (or works for) a
non-profit to get rich!

As to your questioning an anonymous grantor: Apparently,
you must not listen to NPR or watch your local PBS station
or, in fact, support any charitable organizations! If you did,
you would be well aware that challenge grants--from both
anonymous and named donors--are a well established
method of increasing donations. Studies have repeatedly
shown that challenge grants increase giving from individuals
that are interested but otherwise unmotivated. All the
non-profits that I work for are grateful when they receive a
challenge grant.

Your e-mail did serve a positive purpose, though.
You've given me an opportunity to tell you about TAC's
great website and about someone that I admire,
TAC's founder. If you'd like more information, you can
contact me at the address listed below or Dr. Pettigrew
(mailto:[log in to unmask]).

I hope that after you've had a chance to look at the website,
you'll appreciate the benefits Dr. Pettigrew's vision and
hard work are bringing to your profession and the world in
general--and become a Member (anonymously or not <grin>).

P.S. I am NOT an archaeologist. I'm not even one of
archaeology's biggest fans (shhh... don't tell anyone). But
TAC is so valuable and worthwhile that I asked if there was
some way I could support the organization. I have served
as its ListServe Coordinator for the past year. If anyone
reading this post is feeling the urge to give something back
to make this world a better place, a great place to start is
volunteering for TAC.

Cassie Hemphill
Volunteer List Serve Coordinator
The Archaeology Channel (www.archaeologychannel.org)

========= www.tekcomm.com =========

Cassie Hemphill (mailto:[log in to unmask])
TekComm: Words that Matter
- Environmental Communications -
Phone: (208) 520-7424

Publisher of "Balanced Living." For your FREE
subscription, send a BLANK e-mail to:

== http://www.topica.com/lists/balancedliving ==