Jason,

Butlers "The Sensitive Nervous System" (2000) discusses this problem in some
depth. One of his arguments for identifying adverse neural tension compared
to hamstring tightness are studies done in asymptomatic individuals looking
at performance of the slump test (Chapter 11). It was found that most
subjects could extend their knee further with the addition of cervical
extension, with medial rotation of the hip and ankle dorsiflexion reducing
the range of knee extension. If there is an increased range of knee
extension in the slump with cervical extension would this not tell us neural
mobility may be a limiting factor? On the other hand, as shown by studies
quoted by Butler is this not a normal response? In studies attempting to
analyse ANT and hamstring strains would it be more valid to try to look at
differences between knee extension with the neural tissues "unloaded"
compared to loaded as opposed to absolute values? I certainly know what you
are saying (i hope), can we really differentiate between the two? Looking at
things post injury I think neurodynamic tests are very informative when
taken in context of the rest of the presenting signs and symptoms. Cheers
for now.

Steve Aspinall BSc (hons) GSR
Sports Rehabilitator
Bolton Therapy Centre