The head physio at one of the UK premiership football clubs has just
finished a big study looking at this topic (I am wracking my brain but i
can't recall name or club, when I remember or find his presentation I will
post it). He performed a pre season screening of all their players (inc
academy etc)including sacro-iliac orientation and performance of slump,
active knee extension and a number of other strength/flexibility measures.
He suggested that the preliminary data pointed to a higher occurence of
hamstring strain in players with a relative restriction in neural mobility.
He also found that a unilateral posterior (I am going off memory so I may be
wrong) rotation of the ipsilateral sacro iliac joint appeared to be
correlated with increased incidence of hamstring strain.

Regards
Steve Aspinall BSc (hons) GSR
Sport Rehabilitator
Bolton Therapy Centre