Here's a long answer to a short question.

What strikes me as odd is that Musidorus would leave off the "secreter"
arguments in the first place.  Aren't M & P close friends?  Surely Jon is
right to suggest that M is trying to maintain some kind of philosophical
decorum here.

It seems that M thinks the princes' wanderings are in fact the kind of grand
tour Sidney took in 1572.  If you look at the narrator's description of how
Musidorus came to want to leave Arcadia (toward the top of p. 12 in the
Oxford Classics paperback) and the end of M's speech to P, you'll see
reiterated the sort of advice that one gives to a young aristocrat embarking
on such a grand tour.  That advice is generally to size up the political
situation, observe the lay of th land & other potentially militarily useful
items, and make good diplomatic contacts.  Philip wrote a letter containing
just this advice to his younger brother Robert in 1580 (about teh same time
he was finishing up the Old Arcadia), and you'll probably find that letter
in Feullierat (it's likely also in Kimbrough's Holt Rinehart edition of
Sidney, and in the standard edition of Sidney's miscellaneous prose); other
aristocrats wrote similar letters of advice to young travellers, too.

I think Sidney is having a little fun at Musidorus' expense.  Musidorus
wants Pyrocles to become more self-aware, but as Jon points out, M is
lacking in self-awareness himself.  No doubt Sidney is poking fun at the
self-importance of a "genre" dedicated at least as much to showing off the
wisdom of its alleged authors as to imparting good advice to travellers.
And when you look at the direction of the set-piece as a whole, you see
Pyrocles essentially advancing the thesis that the princes occupy a romance,
not a travel narrative.  Moreover, Pyrocles wins his dispute with Musidorus
by bursting into tears and provoking his erstwhile philosophic friend's
pity.

So, what does Musidorus know, and when?  I'd hazard that he does recognize
the stirrings of love in Pyrocles, and that his desire to keep things at the
level of philosophical travel advice prompts him to "leave off other
secreter arguments" entirely.  What Musidorus *doesn't* seem to know is that
he and Pyrocles inhabit a romance, not a travel narrative.  That's the basis
for what I take to be a pretty complicated dramatic irony, which Marie's
astute question opens up for us.

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: what does Musidorus know - and when?
>Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 06:44:42 +0000
>
>I believe the passage cited offers a fine instance of
>Sidney's craft in a narrative that teases and thereby
>entertains the reader, at the same time showing
>Musidorus to be somewhat self-deceived, setting himself
>up for a fall when he himself slackens his pace in his
>noble course.  As I take it, he's making a big deal out
>of setting aside anything 'personal' that might make his
>advice to Pyrocles sound like special pleading; he's
>committed to the objectivity and universality that is
>supposed to characterize a philosopher's argument, and
>maybe he's also hinting that P. had better look to his
>reputation, others may be noting his decline and
>wondering about his true character, etc.
>
>As for scholarship, others may suggest the best recent
>scholarship; I recommend that you not omit Neal
>Rudenstine's book.
>
>Cheers, Jon Quitslund

Joel B. Davis
Visiting Assistant Professor