The olympus dm-1 looks interesting.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/olympusdm1/

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/22/02 06:54PM >>>
Gerry,

Great! Glad this worked out well for you. I thought about using the
Archos
but I was a little worried about how reliable and durable it would be.
At
the moment I'm using minidisc and waiting (and waiting...) for the
Orban/Dialog4 Sountainer Solid State MP3 recorder but who knows when it
will
arrive. At some point I will also mount a web page with comparison
samples
from cassette tape, minidisc, and the Sountainer (if I ever get hold
of
one).

Alan

PS Another harddrive-based recording device is the Creative Labs Nomad.
Also
needs a preamp. You can see a review here:
http://www.proaudioreview.com/par/april01/CREATIVE-LABS-Nomad-Jukebox-web.sh

tml
And samples here:
http://kuren.org/jukebox/
A new version was just released. See a review here:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/02q2/020419/index.html