**Apologies if this comes in scrambled from my web e-mail address!***

Extremely interesting discussion, I think, and quite worth the swamp!

Interestingly enough, the following found its way into my inbox at about the same time, detailing how another country (not the US!) has approached the national strategy/marketing issue:

In Denmark, as is probably the case in most countries nowadays, libraries experience cuts in library budgets. However, in order to secure both the diversity of library materials and competence development of staff the new Act of Library Services 2000 was passed. Apart from continuing the basic
traditions in Danish public libraries, above all the free - and free of charge - and equal access to all library media - including Internet access, the new act gives provisions for libraries to charge users for extended value-added services.
To many Danish Public libraries entering the market of business is a large step to take and in 2001 the Danish National Library Authority founded Centre for Marketable Library Services in order to support the libraries in this new line of work. Centre for Marketable Library Services is national
consultant for all Danish public libraries and offers free support and advice on development of ideas, projects, networks and information on legal issues. As opposed to libraries in many other countries Danish public libraries are unaccustomed to thinking in the lines of sales and profit. In
addition the political arena has proven undecided or even unprepared in its attitude towards the libraries' new initiatives. Despite these obstacles
Danish libraries are now beginning to pay an effort to creating new marketable library services and thereby provide extra funds for the library. In Centre for Marketable Library Services it is our experience that with the right amount of network and new ideas it is possible for the libraries to make significant profit, but it is also our firm belief that no ideas
come from nothing thus this "letter" should be seen both as information but perhaps even more as an invitation to international network and exchange of ideas.
For more information, ideas or network initiatives please contact
[log in to unmask] or visit our site on http://www.cby.dk/marketablelibrary.htm

Sincerely
Marie Ostergaard
Project Consultant
Centre for Marketable Library Services
Aarhus Public Libraries, Denmark | website: www.aakb.dk
Phone: +45 8730 4617    Fax: +45 8730 4539    E-mail: [log in to unmask]

This initiative provides much food for thought, not the least giving libraries the opportunity for revenue from value-added services.  At Co-East and with our national Ask Advisory Board, we are looking at sustainability in exactly the same way, especially as we are trying to run a national service with an international clientele on good will alone.

Linda

Linda Berube

CoEast Plus Project Officer
Co-East  http://www.co-east.net