We have recently established a "Classic Fiction" collection in our library.
Originally this only included works/authors published prior to 1900.  We're
trying to decide if we should also include 20th century authors/titles and
where our cut-off date should be - bearing in mind that the word "classic"
can mean many things to many people, or - as Mark Twain said "Everyone
knows what a classic is, but no one wants to read one".

Does anyone have a Collection Development policy which includes a
definition of "Classic" fiction that they might be willing to share?  Or a
personal opinion on the subject...?

Graham Greene and George Orwell have proved two of our particular
"discussion points"...

Many thanks,

Crishna Simmons
Senior Library Manager
Woking Library
Surrey

This e-mail and any attachments with it are intended for the addressee only.
It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or professional privilege.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender or [log in to unmask]
The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's position.
Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming and outgoing mail.
Whilst every care has been taken to check this outgoing e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any checks upon receipt.