e-News from Britain in Europe and the European Movement

FIVE TESTS ARE MET, SAYS NATIONAL INSTITUTE
Gordon Brown's five tests for joining the euro have been passed according to
a highly respected and independent think-tank. And sharing the common
currency will bring lower inflation and higher growth for Britain, according
to the National Institute for Economic and Social Research (NIESR).

The NIESR's report has examined the Chancellor's five economic tests for
joining the euro using the same model that the Treasury will use when it
makes its own assessment. That such a well-respected think-tank has
concluded Britain is ready to share the common currency and would benefit
from doing so has increased expectations that a positive assessment by the
Chancellor is likely.

The Government has committed itself to assessing the tests before June 2003
and a positive assessment will be followed by a referendum. Given the
massive significance of this report, we have decided to devote e-News
entirely to this story.

The five tests, which the Chancellor will use to assess whether Britain
should join the euro, are:
1. Whether there can be sustainable convergence between Britain and the
economies of a single currency.
2. Whether there is sufficient flexibility to cope with economic change.
3. The effect on investment.
4. The impact on our financial services industry.
5. Whether it is good for employment.

What the report says

Convergence
The NIESR found that "we have converged" with the euro-zone economies.
Furthermore it found that "EMU would give more stable interest rates and
inflation rates than we would see outside it."

Flexibility
According to the National Institute "The UK has become more flexible in the
last four years, and so has the rest of the European Union."

Investment
Investment - which is so important to millions of British jobs - would rise
because of the more stable economic environment if we were to share the
common currency, according to the report.

Financial services
Remaining locked out of the euro would be a serious "disadvantage" to the
City of London. Locked out of the euro, there could be a "decisive shift
[in] the balance of advantage in Frankfurt's favour, and hence staying out
could be a major loss for the UK financial services sector."

Employment and output
The National Institute's model concluded that joining the euro would
"increase real wages and employment".

 The importance of this report cannot be overstated. Over the past five years
the Treasury has secured a stable and prosperous economic environment. Using
a model that will be used by the Chancellor to assess his tests for joining
the euro, the National Institute has concluded that Britain will be even
better off if we were to share the common currency.

Click  <http://www.niesr.ac.uk/press/010502RB.pdf> here for more details of
the National Institute's report.
Click  <http://www.britainineurope.org.uk/le_news.phtml?art_id=50> here for
the opinions of senior politicians and economists on the report.

© Britain in Europe  <http://www.britainineurope.org.uk/>
www.britainineurope.org.uk