Colleagues,

I can't argue with what Helen Hauser said about Ireland, but I think
there is a quantative and qualitative difference. In Ireland that
attitude does tend to be a schoolboy/uneducated one, because that's
the only thing kids here have really heard of in connection with
Germany, apart possibly from footballers. It doesn't permeate the
media to any degree (maybe I've missed it, but I've certainly not
noticed it anywhere in the native Irish media, as opposed to papers
like The Irish Sun, The Irish Star, etc, which are Irish variations on
London papers, owned by the parent and carrying most of the same
news each day). For example, Ireland are in the same group as
Germany in this year's World Cup and there has been no German
bashing of any note in the media here. If it's all about WW2 in
England, then Southern Ireland's neutrality back then may be the
reason for the difference now. But in Ireland the things Helen talks
about are largely the stuff of playgrounds. They are not the visceral
hatred so apparent in England much of the time. One colleague who
recently retruned to England after nearly two decades in Ireland
wrote to me that the naked anti-Germanness was one of the biggest
culture shocks he received on his return.

Anyway, it was certainly not my intention to suggest (as one
respondent put to me) that the Celts are superior in this respect - we
are just outside that particular argument. But we have our own
"attitood". Almost all of us are probably in the ABE brigade for the
World Cup: Anybody But England. For an excellent description of
just such an attitude read the section in Jeremy Paxman's "The
English" on the crowd in a Scottish pub watching England's 1996
penalty shoot-out against Germany. (The book is a good read
anyway.) But that's a different story all about small countries and big
overbearing neighbours that is echoed in countries around Germany,
Russia, the USA etc. It's not about two countries roughly equal in
size. And, sadly (or perhaps fortunately), I often get the feeling that
the envy, hatred or whatever is largely one way: the Germans often
seem like a little brother who just wants to be loved by England.

Anyway, as I say, I'd love to know about mediaeval English attitudes
to Germans, if any are recorded. England was quite germanophile
for most of the 19th century. And, of course, it took German
monarchs from the early 18th century. By contrast mediaeval
England was quite francophobe - certainly there were endless wars
between England and France. Any thoughts on the mediaeval
question from anyone?

Regards,
Pól Ó Dochartaigh.

Dr  Pol  O Dochartaigh