Dear M. Oltean and D. Dumitrescu,

I transcribe from your paper:

"The multigenic chromosome was introduced [in GEP] because it can be happen that the first symbol in a gene to be a terminal symbol and thus a single gene chromosome can not represent a complex expression. As an indirect consequence, if the first symbol of a gene is a terminal then the rest of the gene is unused."

To dismiss the multigenic system of gene expression programming this way is ridiculous. This is not the reason why multigenic chromosomes were introduced in GEP. They were introduced because they are much more efficient than unigenic systems. I demonstrate this in my paper (http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/gep/webpapers/gep.pdf). Besides we know this from nature: multigenic systems are a fundamental threshold in evolution as complex organisms require complex genomes. Even virus code for more than one gene.

So you go on comparing MEP with GEP using a unigenic system. You even reproduced three plots from my paper (Figures 2, 6, and 7 in your paper). This is copyrighted material and no indication is given about permission to reproduce these plots. I used both unigenic and multigenic systems in the analysis I made in my paper in order to show the workings of the algorithm and to show the advantages of multigenic systems. For instance, if I were to use multigenic systems to analyze the variation of success rate with population size, we would get already 100% around 20-30 individuals. The same is true for the variation of success rate with the number of generations. Again, saturation would have happened around 30-40 generations. This was the reason why unigenic systems were chosen for certain analysis, otherwise we would get no resolution in the plots. But this is all clearly stated in my paper. You chose deliberately to ignore this. Any comparisons with GEP should be made using multigenic systems.

So, GEP is still the best.

Candida Ferreira

Dr Candida Ferreira, Chief Scientist
Gepsoft, 37 The Ridings, Bristol BS13 8NU, UK
tel: +44 (0) 117 907 1668, www.gepsoft.com
www.gene-expression-programming.com/author.asp