> Another is that
> there is a sub-population of patients with asthma who really do improve after
> chiropractic therapy.

> A big problem with the second explanation is difficulty envisioning who the
> patients in this sub-population would be.  Is there any clinical evidence or
> any physiologic rationale for the existence of such a sub-population?

> Roy M. Poses MD
Dr. Poses, I would say that the only physiological rationale I can come up with is that increased motion segment stiffness in the thoracic spine (1) and associated rib articulations may impair normal respiration thus giving the illusion of a patient with asthma.

1. Kawchuk G, Herzog W. Preliminary evidence of changes in tissue stiffness following spinal manipulation. In: International Conference on Spinal Manipulation; 1996: FCER; 1996. p. 18.
Stephen M. Perle, D.C.
Associate Professor of Clinical Sciences
University of Bridgeport College of Chiropractic
Bridgeport, CT 06601
www.bridgeport.edu/~perle
"Be ashamed to die until you have achieved some
 victory for humanity."
                                    Horace Mann