As a Canadian Geriatrician who routinely sees the families you describe
at the end of your message AND one who practices EBM, I feel with you
about your frustration with EBM.

The EBM answer - there is none, as no one has studied this population
for this indication. However, using John Dall's findings of efficacy of
antihypertensives in the over 80 crew and similar other findings for
beta-blockers in CHF, I would have to extrapolate and say that the role
of slowing down progression of the Multi-infarct dementia with statins
is possible and biologically plausible. There is a potential argument
about dosing (see Paula Rochon's articles on dosing)

That is only expert opinion, however.

In the end, the real issue is that the family is grieving, and is having
difficulty discussing limits to treatment. They are not presently able
to hear what you are saying. They  may never be able to hear it.

In any case, you have my commiseration, sympathies and good wishes in
managing this patient(s).

----Albert