From: A.Booth [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 10:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Critically appraising a Delphi Study

I facilitate a monthly critical appraisal group across Sheffield called
Shebang. We look at papers suggested by the group for either
methoidological or topical reasons.
(For a feel of the last year's papers look at our website:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/ir/sheafs/)

The group has decided to do a Delphi study for a future session
and has selected:
Peters J et al. (2001) What role do nurses play in Type 2 diabetes
care in the community: a Delphi study. J Adv Nurs 34 (2): 179-188

My questions to the list are three-fold:
1. Is anyone aware of a checklist for appraisal that specifically
addresses Delphi studies?
2. If not has anyone appraised a Delphi study before and if so
which generic checklist did you use?
3. What questions do you as experts in eb healthcare think that we
should ask of a delphi study?

Please be assured that if you reply to this email I will not be
sending you out a further list of critical appraisal criteria to prioritise
:-) and so on and so on!

Regards

Andrew

Andrew Booth BA MSc Dip Lib ALA
Director of Information Resources and
Senior Lecturer - Evidence Based Healthcare Information.
School of Health & Related Research (ScHARR)
Regent Court
30 Regent Street
SHEFFIELD
S1 4DA
Tel: 0114 222 5420 or 5214 Fax: 0114 272 4095
The author of Netting the Evidence:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/ir/netting.html
and Trawling the Net:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/ir/trawling.html