I have also started using TED again recently and comparing it with a
service supplied by www.Xtender.com, a seven-day free trial for which I
accessed through www.eubusiness.com

TED has improved in a quantum fashion so that I find that I can actually
use it now whereas I completely gave up on it in the past. I corresponded
with one of its webmasters who tells me that the database is split into
two:

"1?) the current one which only contains the valid notices (the ones for
which you can still apply);
2?) the archive database which contains all the notices which have been
published for the last 5 years (up to 1997).

The new TED interface now offers the possibility of saving up to 5
different search masks : you have to click on the 'Save profile' icon
available in the light-yellow left part of the screen."

To search the back catalogue, you need to click the archive tick-box and,
although the system still isn't completely idiot-proof (not for this idiot
anyway) the saved searches are still there when you come back although you
need to use the same computer as before since the system doesn't ask you to
register. I guess it is using cookies to recognise the machine.

On Xtender - the jury's still out in that I found I couldn't use it without
referring back to TED itself on some occasions. But as an alerting service
that will surely improve for 500 pounds per year, it is tempting. I would
feel bad about taking it rather than an EIC-provided service though. How
would EICs out there compete with it?

Yours mischievously

Peter Barron, General Manager, Charlemagne Group, 2 Enys Road, EASTBOURNE,
BN21 2DE, UK
Tel: +44(0)1323 434 711 (direct); fax: +44(0)1323 434 702/720
Visit our website: http://www.charlemagne.co.uk
Want to know where your nearest EU information is? http://www.europe.org.uk