Am I the only one troubled by Johnson's equating disagreement with him with "hate mail?"  His use of the term has crystallized for me several past experiences where I (or another) was slammed pretty well for simply disagreeing with the perspective of the speaker.  I believe that in Disability Studies it is absolutely essential to recognize that disagreement does not mean hatred and should not be -- EVER -- used as a club to silence dissent.

Let me stress that I don't mean anything personally, just as Johnson has done.  Still, the perception is one that I am currently stuck with.

Timothy Lillie, PhD
Dept. of Curricular & Instructional Studies
The University of Akron
Akron OH 44325-4205

are now located at: