Yes, in an ideal world we could all travel on foot/by bike, avoid
using plastic bags, eat 5 portions of
good quality fruit and veg a day, give up smoking, consume no
goods or services from countries with a dodgy reputation in
environmental or human rights etc etc. But sometimes such
policies also increase poverty or are impractical to the poor, or
anyway clash with some other equally desirable objective. So we
have to be a bit pragmatic.
Ideally we wouldn't have to travel miles to get to shops, work,
school, leisure, or if we did, go by public transport. But public
transport is hugely expensive (well in cash terms anyway, maybe
not if environmental costs are factored in, but on the low wages
many are on here telling someone they can't use a car to get to
work is like telling someone to sack themselves).
The tender mercies of the New Deal don't really allow for such
selfless environmental commitment.
Yes it's very true that the big oil giants are not really to blame for
high petrol prices (some garages were making a loss on petrol
sales in the Dump the Pump year, and only grocery sales kept
them going - as fuel margins have increased, as petrol prices have
fallen, many garages have pulled out of groceries, whose margin
has been eroded by the supermarkets.
So is it equitable to attempt to force lower petrol prices? It would
favour the rich, but equally many poor families have no choice but
to commute by car, and after housing, fuel is a huge chunk out of
their limited budget. We have such high fuel duty now partly
because under globlisation, tax on the wealthiest and on large
corporations has been reduced, and the govt has to recoup this tax
from somewhere. Indirect taxes (which bear down more on the poor
as they spend more, save less, proportionately, see J M Keynes)
have risen and now in the UK the poorest fifth pay 38% of their
income in tax (direct and indirect; the richest fifth pay only 35%. In
1979, it was 31% and 38% respectively.
Many would be happy with high fuel duty if only it went into better
public transport; more extensive, cheaper, more frequent in the
evenings and sundays, safer late at night.
Cheaper petrol would, prima facie, erode the finances of buses and
trains. But it isnt just cost that puts people off these, it is the poor
service. Trains charge the earth, for wealthy businesspersons, the
trains are behaving more like airlines, getting faster and more
costly each decade.
An erosion of the financial position of the big oil companies would
not directly hit the main culprit; the government. But it would have 2
effects. a) it would perhaps scare the govt into firm committments
as to where fuel duty went, i.e to public transport, not a general tax
pot. b) It would be a good exercise in showing the govt that in other
ways too people can act when fiscal or other injustices get too
gross.
Lastly, the environment again; it isn't really going to be helped by
higher fuel duty as much car mileage is essential anyway, so as
fuel prices rise we just bear it, maybe having less to spend on
other env. things like double glazing or insulation or expensive low
power bulbs, for example. But a fuel protest leading indirectly to
better public transport would help the environment.
So yes I do beleive in social equity and the environment but I still
think this is a good idea.
On 8 May 2002, at 17:53, Steven Boyne wrote:

> Hmm,
>
> Sounds like a chain letter designed to increase CO2 emissions
> and global warming by increasing fossil fuel consumption as prices
> come down.
>
> Other than that, it sidesteps realities such as the fact that most of
> the price of a litre of petrol is constituted of tax/VAT etc.  The fuel
> companies have little ability to make a real price difference.
>
> Better to undertake a mass mode shift to less damaging forms of
> transport.  Those who rely on cars can give up their jobs and walk
> to the benefits agency.
>
> Alternatively, boycott buying fuel in the UK and get it all abroad.
> The UK treasury will drop duty and create a trans-nation state
> petrol-price war.
>
> If everyone takes a low-fares flight to continental Europe and fills up
> a couple jerry cans to bring home...
>
> Steven
> Researcher (tourism and regional development)
> Scottish Agricultural College
> Ayr, UK.

Hillary Shaw, P/G Geography, University of Leeds
Traditional sayings of the P'nstrae-P'sutid tribe (3)
Too many cooks spoil the restuarant profits. Too few
accountants cook the books. Many hands make high wage bill.
Many unemployed hands make lower Minimum Wage.