Sarah Asked, heres my brief answers

Dear All,

(my machine tells me there are 544 of you, but I have my doubts)

A set of stories from EH press clippings are interesting me.  An MP from Cornwall
is due to be married in Pendennis Castle (this is why the stories are in our
press pack)  She is against hunting and pro-hunt lobby activists have been targeting
her with demonstrations whenever she arrives in Cornwall.  She has felt nervous
about this.  They have promised to leave her alone on her wedding day - saying
that they recognise this to be a private matter.

A number of questions would seem relevant to this group.
1) Why is a castle a suitable or romantic place to be married?

In Britain people have got married on submarines and football stadiums, so perhaps romance isn't all there is to this, but personal links to a place? Suitable - well what does that mean? You can get married in a church, but as a non - Christian I wouldn't want to and likewise more people are opting for civil ceremonies in nice (I assume the castle is aesthetically nice in some way, at least to those involved). As for romantic see below

2) If an MP is married in a castle - is it a private matter?
Any marriage is I would say, the fact that it is a castle makes it no more public than any other place you can get married

3) Is a wedding ever a private matter? - ceremonies in perhistory are recognised
to be prime times for advancing political agendas - why not now?

Times and attitudes have changed. For more detail I suggest contacting historians as this issue is perhaps more about the history of marriage, not archaeology?

4) If this MP finds the castle a romantic and lovely place to be, why does she
overlook an activity which was central to the culture that built it?

Does this mean that all Roman students should be actively encouraged to view/participate in real gladiatorial combat? The reason is again, times and attitudes have changed. Just because somewhere/thing is associated with a particular values at a given time, does not mean that it has to stay that way for ever. Archaeology is a good example of this, how many of us value the knives or other items found for their utilitarian qualities, which would have been  (partially, and with exceptions) how the people long ago would have valued them?

5) How did castles - symbols of military domination - become divorced from the
violent context of their constructions in the minds of 21st century British
people (or Cornish people)

One obvious answer is the changing of that context (military domination was less relevant as the English identity( whatever that means) became to accept the conquerors as 'us'. Also the castles became obsolete for their military purpose and over time this aspect of their existence became less relevant, and also the Victorian idea of romance and mystery has a lot to answer for

a not academically rigorous answer

Nick Boldrini
SMR Computing Officer
Heritage Unit
North Yorkshire County Council
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

North Yorkshire County Council has the right
and does inspect E-Government mails sent
from and to its computer system.

      WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information
that is confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for
the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken is prohibited and may be
unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not
necessarily the view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.