Goodness the response from John Hooker was refreshing (not that the others weren't
as well)  It is true (as Angela pointed out) that the questions weren't posed
for particular answers, and I had hoped for discussion along the lines that
Kathryn went - but its awfully nice to see someone being concrete - indeed in
my enjoyment of what I still think is the cognitive dissonance between the castle
wedding and the opposition to hunting I had overlooked the whole question of
'courtly love' - and more generally had flattened the medieval period into 'the
past' mea culpa.  So in the heritage drive for accessible glory in 'the past'
(and potentially its whitewashing) do different periods get fundamentally different
treatment - or was my sloppy thinking a symptom of something widerspread.  I'm
still interested in the hunt thing.  Both the castle guardians and the hunt
are trying to claim heritage status - the hunt is less successful, why?  (I
should be clear here that I'm in no way in favour of hunting myself I'm just
interested in the ways in which these values are negotiated)  I fully recognise
that (as a number of people have pointed out 'times have changed'  my interest
is in how and why.

Sarah