I don't fully agree; nurses may be very experienced but they have NO experience at interpreting x-rays, prior to undertaking ENP training. Anyway, ENPs as a rule should only obtain opinions from middle grades or above, not from SHOs, so I agree with you on that principle. To be more specific however, ENP courses themselves should contain modules on radiographic interpretation. Failing that the Northwick Park people run x-ray interpretation courses specifically geared towards ENPs. I suggest you contact Shelley Brier, at the post-graduate education centre at Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow for further information.

Adrian Fogarty
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>CAROLE ANN
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 10:46 PM
Subject: ENPs provisionally reporting XRs

We are developing / expanding our ENP service in Milton Keynes A&E department. They can currently request some xrays but these always have to be reviewed by a doctor. Given that the nurses are often much more experienced than the majority of SHOs this seems to waste time, waiting for the doctor to be free to view the film and it is also much more difficult to interpret the film without seeing the patient. What training do ENPs have in other units before the are independantly able to provisionally report films? Is anyone aware of any nationally available courses or standards for introducing this.

Thank you

Carole Ann Johnson

Clinical Fellow