----- Original Message -----
From: Dunn Matthew
> A and E consultant here. It is clear that the person involved must be a
> working clinician (ideally a consultant) to obtain the support of other
> clinicians (managers and paramedical clinicians having more respect for
> consultants than consultants have for managers and paramedical
clinicians).
> Unfortunately, the post by its nature may involve a certain reduction in
> clinical workload. In this respect the A and E consultant was felt to be
> uniquely dispensable.

Why are A&E consultants thought to be more dispensable? Isn't that attitude
slightly worrying Matt? It doesn't bode well for expansion of our numbers,
does it? Or do you mean that we are not encumbered by traditional fixed
sessions, the loss of which might increase elective waiting lists etc?

Adrian Fogarty