> If my Department dabbled in things which
> were more
> expertly dealt with by other specialities not only would that
> individual
> patient be getting a poor deal but I would consider it unfair
> to the other
> patients left waiting

Agreed.

> > Matt Dunn feels that "not my job" is a part of good patient
> care. I'm
> > sorry you feel that way, if only on the grounds that the patient or
> > manager hearing this will hear "I could do it, but I'm not
> going to".
> > The difference may be subtle but personally I find that
> "not my field of
> > expertise" or "not something we're equipped to do" leads to
> much more
> > fruitful negotiations with patients and managers alike.

Sorry, I restricted myself to the wording in the original post. Maybe
managers would be happier with 'work that could more cost effectively be
done elsewhere'.

To get back to the original point, firstly this is not a good time to bring
in a new combined vaccine. Secondly, I am surprised if you have large
numbers of patients who are not already covered- tetanus immunisation
carries an item of service payment. I accept that I may have more
financially astute GPs in my area than in many other areas, but around here
GPs tend to check patients' records and call in anyone who needs boosters.
If locally your immunisation programme is inadequate, you should question
whether you are better diverting your energies to providing a further
inadequate service or to trying to improve the service that is already
there.

Matt Dunn

This email has been scanned for viruses by NAI AVD however we are unable to
accept responsibility for any damage caused by the contents.
The opinions expressed in this email represent the views of the sender, not
South Warwickshire General Hospitals NHS Trust unless explicitly stated.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.