Over the next week many (mostly 20th-century) duplicate maps, atlases, and
gazetteers must be cleared from this Society's basement in preparation for
excavations - in connection with the HLF building project - beneath the
garden.  Attempts have been made a couple of times over last 10 years or so
to encourage map curators (in the widest sense of the term) to visit, sort
through, and to take away, this material: alerting BRICMICS, advertising
access for this purpose during our annual June closure to visitors, etc.

Shortage of staff has increasingly been the rule, here, too; thus we can
give brief pointers only to the categories of material on offer.  Whenever
we can, we list duplicate material by current place-names; it should be
understood that multi-sheet series may be incomplete, may contain a mixture
of editions, and may have multiple copies of same sheet(s).   But think of
the fun and endless discussions you can have amongst yourselves by swopping
odd map sheets and trying to make up complete sets...

As we cannot possibly out-store this duplicate material (which is to be the
temporary lot of our main Collection until the new basement storage and
reading areas are completed), what is not claimed in the next few weeks will
be 'dumped'.  Personal (or institutional van) collection is preferable,
certainly reimbursement of postage costs should it come to that; or discuss
on a case-by-case basis.  If I've omitted essential and obvious information
someone will doubtless soon make this known!  The material listed here has
been rolled for several years, and tied with string.  Oh, and forgive the
typographical errors.  Any special requirements/geographical areas wanted
before I reach them, PLEASE ASK.

GAZETTEERS :-

Gazetteer to maps of Java, Madura, and Bali : map series AMS T521, scale
1:250,000 / comp. by United States Board on Geographical Names. - 2nd ed. -
Washington DC : Army Map Service, War Dept, June 1944. - vi,88p., [1] leaf
(fold. ) of plates : col. ind. map ; 24 cm. - "This gazetteer is designed
for use with ... the 1:250,000 maps of Java, Madura, Bali, the western part
of Lombok, and a small group of islands belonging in the Sumatra area ...".
- Gives refs to both military grid and to univ. geogr. co-ords (i.e. lat. &
long.) : THREE COPIES

Gazetteer to maps of Moluccan Islands : map series AMS T661, scale 1:125,000
/ comp. by United States Board on Geographical Names. - Washington DC : Army
Map Service, War Dept, January 1944. - 30p., [1] leaf (fold.) of plates :
col. ind. map ; 24 cm. - Gives refs to both military grid and to univ.
geogr. co-ords (i.e. lat. & long.) : FOUR COPIES

Gazetteer to maps of Molukken Islands, scale 1:100,000 : map series AMS T662
(second edition) / comp. by United States Board on Geographical Names. -
Washington DC : Army Map Service, War Dept, July 1944. - v,83p., [1] leaf
(fold.) of plates : col. ind. map ; 24 cm. - Gives refs to both military
grid and to univ. geogr. co-ords (i.e. lat. & long.) but NB latter is based
on meridian of Batavia [ = Jakarta]

Gazetteer to maps of Lesser Sunda Islands : map series AMS T551, scale
1:250,000 / comp. by United States Board on Geographical Names. - Washington
DC : Army Map Service, War Dept, March 1944. - iii,62p., [1] leaf (fold.) of
plates : col. ind. map ; 24 cm. - Gives refs to both military grid and to
univ. geogr. co-ords (i.e. lat. & long.) : TWO COPIES

Gazetteer of Canada : Southwestern Ontario / Canadian Board on Geographical
Names. - Ottawa : Canadian Board on Geographical Names (Queen's Printer),
1952. - [iv],[119]p., [1] leaf (fold.) of plates : map ; 24 cm : TWO COPIES

Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps ; distributor of largesse)
[log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
http://www.rgs.org [see 'Collections'/'Unlocking the Archives']