I sometimes think that some of the problems arise because people think
that there is always 'evidence' - it is quite possible that there is no
evidence to support one view over another. While, as was said in a recent
thread about the lack of funding for chiropractors looking at migraine,
just asking the question and searching the literature is often
insufficient.

with respect to pharmacogenomics, the state of play at the moment is
simply too 'lab based' to be of practical use. The best we can do at the
moment is hope that second, third, etc generation drugs that have more
refined activities, will lead to less associated problems in the form of
adverse reaction. Let's face it, apart from allergic responses, side
effects are generally due to the drug having effects away from its
principle target for action.

My final point - what may be statistically significant may not be
clinically significant. For example, I am not interested in a difference
of, say 3mmHg in blood pressure even with tight confidence intervals, when
the study takes 3000 patients to demonstrate the effect.

Dr Richard Phillips
The Goffin Consultancy Ltd
Riding House,
Bossingham Road