Here are the quotes for next week, April 21st to 27th:

1. …They stood back and took stock of the neglected growth, tapped an elbow of hedge-oak here, a mossed beech-stub there, swayed a stooled ash back and forth, and looked at each other…Jabez ranged up and down till he found a thinner place, and with clean snicks of his handbill revealed the original face of the fence. Jesse took over the dripping stuff as it fell forward, and, with a grasp and a kick, made it to lie orderly on the bank…

2. …in three days two struts were in place, bolted from the foot of the starboard supporting-column to the under side of the cylinder. There remained now the port, or condenser column, which, though not so badly cracked as its fellow, had also been strengthened in four places with boiler-plate patches, but needed struts. They took away the main stanchions of the bridge for that work…

3. …Presently the man took a reed pen from his satchel, and trimmed it with a little ivory knife, carved in the semblance of a fish…' 'Ware fingers ! That blade is perilously sharp. I made it myself of the best Low Countries cross-bow steel…Yes, and that's my ink horn. I made the four silver saints round it. Press Barnabas' s head. It opens, and then - ' He dipped the trimmed pen, and with careful boldness began to put in the essential lines…that had been but faintly revealed by the silver-point…it fairly leaped from the page…

The sources of this week's quotations (April 14th to 20th) are as follows:

1. (…The Mullah sprang to his feet, glaring with withered eyeballs at the drawn death he could not see..) This is from 'The Head of the District' in 'Life's Handicap'.

2. (...It seems to them that they stood through the days and nights slowly sliding a bar backwards and forwards through a white glow...)  This is from 'The Devil and the Deep Sea' in 'The Day's Work'.

3. (..."Please do something with that fire. They won't let me play with it, but I can feel it's behaving badly...)   This is from 'They' in 'Traffics and Discoveries'.

Good wishes to all, John R