> Diana Goss wrote  on Thu, 25 Apr 2002:
>Can anyone help me understand the psychology involved in  having an
> 'imaginary friend' throughout childhood or recommend any books on the
> subject.

I am a counsellor and State Registered Art Therapist and I myself had an
imaginary friend when a small child.  I was not an only child.  I have also
facilitated a workshop on 'fairytales in therapy' in which the topic of
imaginary friends came up spontaneously and it transpired that nearly all of
the participants shared that they had had imaginary friends of various
sorts.

I haven't read it, but have heard of the following book:  Taylor, Marjorie
(1999)  Imaginary Companions and the Children Who Create Them" .  Oxford
University Press.

Publisher's Comments on this book are:
Many parents delight in their child's imaginary companion as evidence of a
lively imagination and creative mind. At the same time, parents sometimes
wonder if the imaginary companion might be a sign that something is wrong.
Does having a pretend friend mean that the child is in emotional distress?
That he or she has difficulty communicating with other children? In this
fascinating book, Marjorie Taylor (a professor of psychology) provides an
informed look at current thinking about pretend friends, dispelling many
myths about them. In the past a child with an imaginary companion might have
been considered peculiar, shy, or even troubled, but according to Taylor the
reality is much more positive -- and interesting. Not only are imaginary
companions surprisingly common, the children who have them tend to be less
shy than other children. They also are better able to focus their attention
and to see things from another person's perspective. In addition to
describing imaginary companions and the reasons children create them, Taylor
discusses other aspects of children's fantasy lives, such as their belief in
Santa, their dreams, and their uncertainty about the reality of TV
characters. Adults who remember their own childhood pretend friends will be
interested in the chapter on the relationship between imaginary companions
in childhood and adult forms of fantasy. Taylor also addresses practical
concerns, providing many useful suggestions for parents. If you have a child
who creates imaginary creatures, or if you work with pre-schoolers, you will
find this book very helpful in understanding the roles that imaginary
companions play in children's emotional lives.

Hope this is of use,
Caryl

Caryl Sibbett
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
NIGAT Chairperson:  N.I. Group for Art as Therapy (NIGAT) website:
http://www.geocities.com/nigat_uk/