William raises a key issue. There is a very wide spectrum of behaviours and ideas involving the creation of 'others'. All religions appear to be prone to this, even those that do not identify out a god as such. Most cat owners I know routinely express themselves in complex ways to their pets and indeed to other cats. Many people endow vehicles, household appliances and computers with personalities.

At what point do we say that an imaginary friend has been created? Does it include speaking to bogeymen under the bed or in wardrobes?

Is there a point at which we worry about the behaviour? I have not had the experience of finding any child's imaginary friend (fairly common, though by no means universal)  poses problems. I have found that children who are ill, especially where that illness includes fever, are particularly likely to have imaginary friends.

Stephen Rennie, Leeds Metropolitan University