Mel wrote:
In my original paradox, I suggested that anyone who doubts that it is
impossible or virtually impossible for psoas to play a significant role in
the early stages of sitting up to try to begin the sit-up (with unrestrained
feet) with head and shoulders touching the floor and forcing these parts of
the body to leave the floor LAST, not first during the exercise - i.e. by
eliminating all trunk flexion caused by early abdominal action and allowing
the hip flexors to raise the trunk from the floor from start to finish of
the
movement.  Did you actually try this unkind practical exercise before
commenting on this paradox?  You might find it very revealing and very
humbling.

Mel:  I would agree that it is nearly impossible to do this with out using
psoas.

I have a question.  Florence Kendall tests abdominal strength by just this
same motion but in an eccentric fashion and looks for the psoas to kick when
the pelvis rotates.  My question is do you feel that this eccentric
strengthening of abdominals is effective for abdominal strengthening rather
than traditional situps?  If not, what are the ways you strengthen the
deconditioned person with low back pain?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Patrick Zerr
www.apluspt.com
The easiest way to prepare for the National PT Exam!
www.summitpt.com
Summit Physical Therapy; Tempe, Arizona