<< Which point of view are you supporting and which evidence can you cite to
support your argument? >>

From the angle of "evidence" I can't support anything (yet), but I can
imagine that physical well-being as a result of moderate exercise can have a
positive influence on self-image, social interaction, goal setting,
self-achievement, etc. On the other hand I doubt very much that we get a
higher IQ just by exercising (Arnold Schwarzenegger???) but there might be a
link towards the AMOUNT of "brain-power" that we use. In that respect
exercise may be one of many possible stimuli in use of the brains we have.
Of course we shouldn't forget social background and moral values we get fed
with.

This is just a wild hypothesis that I've come up with in the last minute so
please be gentile and don't attack me too hard on this, hehehe.

Bye,

Isaac

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sendt: 25. april 2002 09:32
Til: [log in to unmask]
Emne: PP128: Exercise and Brain Function Paradox

[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Though I agree with you about this topic, the argument that you are using
is not a good one. Starting smoking with the excuse that some people live
until the age of 100 isn't a good one either. >>

*** You cannot agree with me, since I do not have a single view on this
topic, nor is it my intention to categorically state one.   My puzzles and
paradoxes are not arguments - read the essential preface to each PP.

In these Puzzles, I present findings or observations which appear to support
at least two different views and call upon readers to rely on scientific
research, logic or valid theorising to take the apparent paradox a stage
further.  At best, you might say that I see the merits in all arguments, but
cannot unconditionally support any single viewpoint.

I provided evidence that some research appears to show that exercise
enhances
some cognitive functions, then I tried to counterbalance it (validly or
invalidly) with observations that even highly sedentary or physically
disabled persons do not appear to display loss of cognitive function.

Which point of view are you supporting and which evidence can you cite to
support your argument?

Dr Mel C Siff
Denver, USA
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Supertraining/