Hi Daphne, Tony and all,

I just wanted to reply and say that the Technical Advisory service have
noted this message, we're not just ignoring it ...honest!

I'm sure you all realise that it is a fairly complicated area and so we want
to make sure we give the right answer to you all. I have actually passed
this message on to the UKOLN Collection Description Focus who has said that
they will get an answer back to the list by Monday.

With regard to OAI, NOF and the Technical Advisory service are working on a
paper for projects to be issued in the near future. In the meantime I just
want to reiterate that projects should concentrate on creating rich metadata
for their item level resources. If this metadata is held in a CMS or
database there will be ways that it can be mapped to Dublin Core for use by
OAI.

I'd also agree with Daphne's comment that because DC is for resource
discovery there is not a huge amount of point in putting it in the HTML
unless these are static pages.

Further resources on metadata area's are available from the UKOLN site:

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/

Regards

Marieke