Raj,

We went out to tender for a CMS and got responses from a number
of companies, some with existing packages and some who were
willing to develop one to our specification.

In the end we went for a tried and tested package, partly on
grounds of cost, but largely because the other options took away
the safety net - we felt that it was entirely up to us to define how
the system should work, how we would want to use the Dublin
Core elements, etc. and in the end we just didn't feel confident that
we were expert enough in what we were trying to do to think of
everything!  As it was, we have been able to tailor our final choice
to reflect our requirements, and so I think we got the best of both
worlds (more or less...).

Of course, having been through that exercise we could probably
specify what we'd want precisely enough to get one custom built -
but that's another funding stream...
[...]

Good luck whichever path you take,
Gordon Reid

Project Manager,