On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Daniel Merriman wrote:

> Please excuse my ignorance if I appear to have gotten the wrong end of
> the stick but do you refer to microfilm when you use the term
> "microform"?

Daniel,

To (over) simplify, 'microform' is a generic term for any information that
is stored in reduced size. These are usually the products of photographic
processes but may also be produced directly by computers, as with Computer
Output Microform (COM). Currently, there are two main types of microform:

* 'microfilm' - usually rolls of film stored on a spool, defined by AACR2
as "a length of film bearing a number of microimages in linear-array."

* 'microfiche' - ca. 4"x6" sheets of film, defined by AACR2 as "a sheet of
film bearing a number of microimages in a two-dimensional array."

Many microform readers can usually be used for both types, but normally
need specific attachments. Libraries will often have back copies of
newspapers (e.g. The Times) stored on commercially produced microfilms,
but might also have supplements to archaeological reports (and other
material) that has only been published in microfiche.

There are many older types of microform, including Fremont Rider's opaque
'Microcards,' and the 'Airgraph' system used by some service personnel in
the Second World War to send letters home from overseas.

> I think this is possible, but unfortunately have moved jobs since I
> looked into this process, so don't have appropriate files to hand.
> Does anyone have any useful info?

I know that this research was undertaken quite a long time ago, but there
were some studies made of this as part of Yale University Libraries
'Project Open Book':

http://www.library.yale.edu/preservation/pobweb.htm

Note that some of the URLs on the publications page don't work, so if you
are interested you will have to go to:

Conway (1996): http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february96/yale/02conway.html

Conway and Weaver (1994): http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub47.html

Waters and Kenney (1994): http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub44.html

Waters and Weaver (1992): http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub27.html

Waters (1992): http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub25.html

Best wishes,

Michael Day
Research Officer, UKOLN: The UK Office for Library and
Information Networking, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY,
United Kingdom.
Telephone: +44 (0)1225 323923 Fax: +44 (0)1225 826838