Cecilia Gaposchkin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Robert Kraft wrote:

>> Are you aware of seven cathedrals that were designated as pilgrimage
sites during the times of the crusades when pilgrims were not able to
make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem?  I believe Chartes was one.  Do you know of
this, and if so do you know which were the other cathedrals?  Thanks.

>I would be very interested if responses to this question could be posted
to the list,

i've got an interest in this question also.

and, a question: "Designated" by *whom,* eggsactly?  --during "the period of
the Crusades" (i.e., 1090-2002???)

such a "designation" (by the Pope, presumably) in any general sense, strikes
me as something that would/could not happen before, say the mid-13th c.

but i could easily be wrong.

otOh, there could certainly be some kind of ad hoc dispensation given on a
case-by-case basis by local bishops, i should think.

in any case, i've not heard of Chartres being so "officially"
"designated," though that certainly doesn't mean that it wasn't.

my dim understanding is that, on occasion, Papa could commute (if that's the
word i'm looking for) a would-be Crusader's vow to something else.

the only instance i know of where this (supposedly) happened is the case of
Archdeacon Godfrey of Leves (a _castrum_ very near Chartres), who, legend had
it, was on his way Outre Mer and stopped at Rome when word reached him that he
had been "elected" to suceed Bishop Ivo.

the story goes that Papa relieved him of his vow so that he could assume the
See of Chartres, in return for which he was to found a monastery on his
ancestral lands.

this he did, returning to Chartres and, just a year later perhaps, founding
the benedictine house of "St. Mary of Josaphat" --presumably named after the
monastery of the same name in the valley below Jerusalem

(http://www.ariadne.org/centrechartraine/abbeys/josaphat/jehosaphat.html
http://www.ariadne.org/centrechartraine/abbeys/josaphat/josaphat.html
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BookDetails?bi=63381660 ).

(nota bennies: i've not been able to confirm this legend in any contemporary
source --it apparently first appears in early modern histories of the abbey.
which is not to say that it is without foundation, however.)

>particularly the relevant bibliography. (I am preparing a
new course on medieval pilgrimage; has anyone taught such a course?)

here's a couple of recent items to start you off:

Elsner, John; Coleman, Simon. _Pilgrimage: Past & Present in the World
Religions._  Harvard University Press, 1995
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BookDetails?bi=97365646 (multiple copies
available)

Webb, Diana. _Pilgrims and Pilgrimage in the Medieval West._
I. B. Tauris & Company, Limited, 1999.

the Webb looks to me to be particularly good and based on original sources,
with an up-to-date bibliography.  See the description here:
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BookDetails?bi=106516842

finally, i modestly call the list's attention to a Bang-Up session at the
upcomming Zoo:

--------------------------
Session 101: Schneider 1120

Chartres: New Approaches to Old Problems
Sponsor: The Friends of Chartres at Kalamazoo
Organizer: Christopher Crockett, Christopher's Book Room
Presider: Margot Fassler, Yale Univ.

Chartres Cathedral as "The House of the Virgin"
Jim Bugslag, Univ. of Manitoba

Iconographical Implications of the Virgin at Chartres: The Evidence of the
Pilgrim Badges
Pippin Michelli, Ariadne.org

Families and Canons: The Uses of Prosopography
Christopher Crockett
Christopher's Book Room
--------------------------------

i have it on good Authority that:

--the first paper will be a summary of a Superb and Important Historiographic
study;

--the second, an equally Stunning and Historiographically Important look at
all the known pilgrims' badges from the cathedral --the first time, to my
knowledge, that they have ever been so assembled;

--the third, hopelessly Dreary paper, thankfully, will be replaced by a
Facinating and Erudite *Mystery Speaker* who may give us some insights into
her forthcomming New Book on Chartres.

i'll be in the chair.

hope to see you all there.

best from here,