Dear Eleri,

The best systematic reviews I know on dipstick testing in children are:

American Academy of Pediatrics - Downs SM. Technical Report: Urinary Tract Infections in
febrile infants and young children. Pediatrics 1999. 103 (4)
http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/103/4/e54
Gorelick MH, KN Shaw. Screening tests for Urinary Tract Infections in children: a meta-analysis.
Pediatrics, 1999. 104 (5): B1-B7 http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/103/5/e54

"Evidence in a nutshell": the sensitivity for UTIs of Nitrites+leukocyte esterase+microsc.exam. for leukocytes can approximate 100%, with an LR(-) near to zero, it depends on local conditions and the state of art. Assuming that, pretest probabilities should be less important in case of a negative result (SnNout). Medium specificity is described as 0.7 (0.6-0.9).

Giuseppe

Dr. Giuseppe Giocoli
Gruppo di Lavoro EBM
Associazione Microbiologi Clinici Italiani
Via Sarca, 19
25015 DESENZANO d/G (BS) Italia