Dear All,

Greetings from Al-Ain the oasis city. Many thanks for giving me useful tips,
references and even power point slides for my talk to the hospital medical
directors in the UAE. Special thanks to Professor Dan Mayer from New York,
Ken Yew from USA Dr. Giuseppe Giocoli from Italy, Dr.Mead from UK, Mr Paul M
Flynn from UK, Jill Mayer from USA, Dr Omar Abdulwadud from Australia and
Dr.Diana Rodriguez from Peru.

My talk went well (I think?!) and there was a good turn out. I presented two
talks with a break in between.
1) Essentials of EBM for hospital directors
2) Internet as a tool to teach/practice EBM (How to bring evidence to the
bedside)

In the first talk I used a modified version of David Sacket’s power point
presentation incorporating slides from different presentations and my own.
In the second talk I showed live demonstration of both free and paid
pre-processed EBM resources. Apart from my own examples (which were
questions posted on our list in the last few weeks) I took some search
questions from the audience and conducted searches (the Internet connection
was very fast).

Free Sources:
Clinical query in Pubmed
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/clinical.html
Sumsearch http://sumsearch.uthscsa.edu/searchform45.htm
National Guideline clearing house http://www.guideline.gov/index.asp
Cochrane abstracts search http://www.update-software.com/cochrane/

Paid sources:
Although I mentioned Stanford Skolar MD, Clinical evidence, uptodate and ACP
journal club due to lack of time we ran searches in
Stanford Skolar MD http://www.skolar.com/
Uptodate http://www.uptodate.com/
Both offer free trial for few days and uptodate has some useful material if
you are presenting a EBM workshop.

The major concerns of the directors were:
1)Lack of time for their staff to look up/search evidence
2)Lack of resources – most hospitals there is no Internet and some no
computers for clinical care (although finance dept might have many!)
3)Need for training their staff in searching and applying what they found
4)Practicing EBM – will it become a legally binding requirement
5)Will it help or harm the practitioner in the court of law (when some one
is sued)

My colleague from the Ministry of health presented a slide show on the
mission and vision of the ministry on the EBM initiative. We had a useful
discussion and the plan is to invite/nominate 2 clinicians from each
institution for a trainers training programme and the hope is that they will
provide training in their own institutions.
The Ministry will provide the resources and training. It is likely that one
of the pre-processed EBM resources will be provided to all institutions
possibly uptodate or Skolar MD which includes Cochrane and many on line text
books and journals.

I had a couple of invitations to come and present the seminars in the
various institutions around the country.

Once again I would like to thank the members of the list for your useful
suggestions and support. In a separate mail I will put together all the
helpful comments I received.

Cheers & regards,

Badri

Dr.P.Badrinath M.D,M.Phil,(Epid)PhD(Cantab)DFPHM(UK),MPH(Distinc)
Clinical Assistant Professor & Hon Consultant in Preventive Medicine,
Department of Community Medicine,
UAE University, PO Box 17666, Al Ain,
United Arab Emirates.
Tel: 00 971 3 7039 652
Fax: 00 971 3 7672022.
http://myprofile.cos.com/badrishanthi
"For an excellent review of the current medical literature, go to Journals
Scan www.uaeu.ac.ae/jscan/" - BMJ 3rd June 2000, Netlines